PARIS (AP) — How effectively have you learnt the Tour de France? Do this quiz:
1. From which metropolis does the 2017 Tour de France begin on Saturday?
c.) Duesseldorf, Germany
2. Wherein international international locations will the peloton cease this 12 months?
a.) Germany, Spain and Switzerland
b.) Germany, Luxembourg, Italy
c.) Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg
three. What’s the document for probably the most Tour de France wins?
four. Who wears the yellow jersey on the Tour de France?
a.) The race chief
b.) The rider with probably the most stage wins
c.) One of the best younger rider within the race
5. What’s the identify of the staff related to the Tour’s greatest doping scandal?
a.) U.S. Postal
c.) Staff Sky
6. Which rider was nicknamed the Cannibal?
a.) Lance Armstrong
b.) Miguel Indurain
c.) Eddy Merckx
7. What’s the Purple Lantern?
a.) A crimson lantern signaling the ultimate kilometer of every stage
b.) The identify given to the last-place rider within the basic classification
c.) The beginning hut in time trial levels
eight. What’s the broom wagon?
a.) A car used to wash the street forward of each stage
b.) A car following the race and choosing up riders unable to make it to the end
c.) The bottom gear ratio attainable used on steep climbs
9. When is the final time a Frenchman gained the Tour de France?
10. What’s the smallest successful margin on the Tour de France?
a.) 58 seconds
b.) eight seconds
c.) 40 seconds
11. Which rider holds the document for probably the most stage wins on the Tour de France?
a.) Charly Gaul
b.) Chris Froome
c.) Eddy Merckx
12. What number of riders have died within the Tour?
1. c. It will likely be the fourth time within the race’s century-old historical past that it begins in Germany.
2. c. Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg.
three. c. Solely 4 riders have achieved this feat: Eddy Merckx, Jacques Anquetil, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain. Lance Armstrong gained the race seven instances in a row from 1999-2005 however was later stripped of his titles for doping.
four. a. The yellow jersey is named “le maillot jaune” in French. It was created in 1919, effectively after the Tour began in 1903. The newspaper that sponsored the race, L’Auto, was printed on yellow paper, therefore the jersey’s colour.
5. b. The 1998 Tour de France was notable for the main scandal that emerged with the invention of widespread doping on the Festina staff. The next police crackdown led to seven of the unique 21 groups both withdrawing or being ejected from the Tour.
6. c. Eddy Merckx reportedly earned the nickname following his first Tour win in 1969, after a teammate instructed his daughter Merckx wouldn’t let anybody else win something. “Daddy, he’s the Cannibal,” the woman stated.
7. b. “Lanterne Rouge” applies to the last-place rider within the basic classification.
eight. b. The broom wagon picks up riders unable to make it to the end.
9. b. France has lacked a Tour winner since Bernard Hinault posted the final of his 5 victories again in 1985.
10. b. Greg LeMond’s margin of victory over French rider Laurent Fignon within the 1989 Tour. Fignon began the ultimate day with a 50-second lead over his American rival however the Frenchman suffered with saddle sores and dropped 58 seconds within the remaining time trial to lose the yellow jersey.
11. c. Eddy Merckx has gained a document 34 Tour levels.
12. c. The primary rider to die throughout the race was Adolphe Heliere, who handed away throughout a relaxation day in 1910. Francisco Cepeda died after a crash within the downhill of the Col du Galibier in 1935. Probably the most profitable British riders, Tom Simpson, died of an overdose of medicine at Mont Ventoux. The final rider to die on the Tour was Fabio Casartelli, who died after crashing within the descent of the 1,069-meter (three,507-foot) Col de Portet d’Aspet throughout the 1995 version of the race.
Copyright 2017 The Related Press. All rights reserved. This materials might not be printed, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.